potato salad with bacon and a tangy mayonnaise dressing
With a barbecue loving husband who likes to fire up his Weber(s) most weekends its my job to come up with salads to compliment the low and slow cooked meats. While I do enjoy my not so traditional cauliflower ‘potato’ salad sometimes you just want the real thing which calls for roasting some potatoes and cooking some bacon.
- 6 rashes bacon
- 1kg baby potatoes
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I used homemade avocado mayonnaise)
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- parsley for garnish
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper and cook bacon in a 180 degree Celsius oven until crispy. While the bacon is cooking slice the potatoes into 1 cm slices.
- Once the bacon is cooked remove from the baking paper, leaving the bacon dripping behind. Toss the potato slices in the bacon dripping and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake potatoes for 45 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Mix together mayonnaise, while balsamic vinegar and Dijon mustard together.
- Combine potatoes, bacon, red onion and mayonnaise mixture. Sprinkle with parsley for garnish and serve.
Visit our Smoking and Barbecue page for ideas on what to serve with your potato salad.