bacon salad with brussels sprouts, kale, nuts and a vinaigrette dressing
We think Brussels sprouts cop a bit of an unfair reputation. On their own yes, we agree they’re not the tastiest food out there but cook them right, serve them with some tasty sides and they come to life. Not only that, they are full of nutritious goodness.
This salad partners up the sprouts with other nutrient packed vegetables in kale and cabbage and mixes them with a sweet and tangy dressing. To top it off we had some crispy bacon.
This recipe screams variety. Whether its swapping the hazelnuts for pinenuts, adding some sauteed mushrooms or trying other oils there are plenty of options here. You can enjoy this bacon salad as a side or as a whole meal.
- 8 Brussels sprouts (stems removed and discarded, leaves separated and remaining stem finely diced)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- 4 rashers bacon, chopped
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2/3 cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- salt and pepper
- Cook the bacon in either a frying pan or in the oven. Be sure to keep the drippings.
- While the bacon is cooking place the diced shallot, vinegar, maple syrup, hazelnuts and coconut oil in a large bowl and stir.
- When the bacon is cooked pour half the drippings into the large bowl and the other half into a large frying pan on medium to high heat.
- Heat the drippings then add the sprouts, kale and cabbage. After 2 minutes stir and continue to stir for another minute or so. Try to avoid overcooking as they will become soggy.
- Transfer the veggies to the large bowl containing the other goodies, add the bacon, season with salt and pepper and serve!
For other messy salad ideas click here.