espresso smoothie consisting of banana, oats, espresso, cacao, almond milk, maple syrup, turmeric and cinnamon. A great way to start the day!
Most breakfasts for Marina and I consist of a smoothie and a coffee. It took us a while but eventually we saw the light and combined the two to make an espresso smoothie. The recipe, like most smoothies, is straightforward and is easily made in a good food processor or Thermomix.
The oats provide a nutritional boost and also helps to avoid snacking mid-morning. Turmeric is great for your gut (among other things) and adds a little spice to your smoothie. The sweetness comes from the banana and the maple syrup. You’ll find our homemade almond milk finds its way to most of our smoothie recipes.
- 1 medium sized ripe banana
- 1 shot espresso (or 2 if it’s going to be along morning)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1.5 tbsp maple syrup (or honey)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 8 ice cubes
- Add oats to a high powered blender and blitz until they become a fine powder (Thermomix 20 seconds, speed 10). Make sure it is really fine as you don’t want little clumps of oats.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend until all combined (Thermomix 30 seconds, speed 8).
- Enjoy your espresso smoothie!