breakfast chia pudding packed with wholesome goodness
My inspiration for this chia pudding came from the very tasty carrot cake smoothie by Tasty Yummies. Packed full of nutritious goodness in the form of carrot, banana, dates, almond milk and spices, this smoothie has quickly become a favourite breakfast of in our house. It also happens to be gluten-free and vegan.
Similarly, this carrot cake chia pudding is packed with fruit and vegetables and as a result is quite filling… just what I need to get me through the morning and avoiding a mid morning snack. It makes a lovely breakfast for one or dessert for two. Making the pudding does involve some preparation so I find it best to make it the night before. Who has two hours to wait between waking up and eating breakfast!
You can grate the carrot and apple by hand, mash the banana using a fork and finely dice the date but if your house is anything like mine I would save myself 10 minutes by throwing everything in the food processor or Thermomix.
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of cloves
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 apple (cored)
- 1 carrot (chopped)
- 1 medjool date (pitted)
- Optional 1 ripe small banana
- Optional handful of walnuts
- Add apple, carrot, date and banana to a food processor or Thermomix. Pulse for 3-4 seconds until all the ingredients are finely chopped.
- Combine chia seeds, spices, almond milk and chopped ingredients in a jar – stiring or shaking until mixed through.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or preferably overnight.